Only you can decide if student loan bankruptcy is right for you. Some of the advantages are:
- That it will get rid of your New Zealand student loan. In three years (in almost all cases) you will no longer be bankrupt, and you will be free of the student loan debt nightmare.
- It will stop IRD harassment.
- It will stop the IRD being able to threaten you with arrest.
- It will stop the government being able to chop and change the terms of your student loan debt contract without advice to you.
- You will no longer have to deal with the IRD. While some staff are professional and helpful, many are cruel, inconsistent and threatening which is why there is such a high rate of self-harm for people who have debt related contact with the IRD.
- If you do have to negotiate anything you will be doing so with the Official Assignee/Insolvency Service who usually treat cooperative people with respect, reasonably, and in a way that allows for reasonable discussion.
- At any time the Labour government may remove the option of student loan bankruptcy.
- Some people feel a moral obligation to repay the original debt if they become bankrupt. This can be negotiated.
We fear for the many people who will be left with no way out if the government abolishes the bankruptcy option. We have clients whose lives have been saved by becoming bankrupt because they were at risk of suicide as a result of the way the IRD was treating them.
It is possible for you to initiate your own bankruptcy, however, the advantage of using us is that we have handled hundreds of student loan bankruptcies. We take the pressure off you in dealing with the Official Assignee and the IRD, we make submissions and argue respectfully with the Official Assignee so that we achieve the best possible outcome for you. Examples include many successful submissions on bankruptcy budget contribution issues, successful applications for travel while bankrupt even where there with issues with the bankrupt’s conduct, and negotiations for the bankrupt to retain assets above the allowed limit.
What we offer is a money back guarantee. If we do not successfully obtain bankruptcy for you within 4 weeks of you providing us with all required information, we will refund your fee in full. Please note that in most cases bankruptcies are much faster than 4 weeks, and this offer depends on there being no change in government policy. Please note that bankruptcy is not suitable for all cases.