Ask them to tell you:
- The amount of the full debt.
- How much of that debt is in arrears.
- The amount of your penalties.
- When your next payment is due and how much it is.
- The travel dates that the IRD holds on file for you (this affects the charging of interest).
- Ask them to email you a 1 page break down of the debt (this is different from the multi-page statement that is sent out several times a year).
- Request a reasonable amount of time to look at your options and come back to them with a plan. A couple of weeks is often a good start. We can advise you of your options within 48 hours, in most cases.